Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Weekly writing challenge

Doing a bit of a weekly writing challenge with a dear friend of mine. The best part is it's only a paragraph so it doesn't take much time, yet you must convey a complete thought based on a single word. Last weeks subject was 'Aging'.

Here's what I wrote.

 Aging: I’m a scientist. I understand the gravity of my situation. I comprehend what my demise entails. I know the agony I will endure. And I know it will last for centuries, possibly across millennia. Even now, I witness the rest of the universe evolving about me; decades in a single heartbeat. I am torn by these thoughts. I am ravaged by sorrow knowing that generations of my offspring will die before I finish a single long sigh; before a tear touches my cheek. In fact, before my death, my world may vanish as my star becomes a red giant and swallows my planet; my birthplace. I wonder if this has already happened and whether the screams I hear at night are the echoes of its passing. I don’t know, but it’s something I endure each time my eyelids drift shut. I am weary of this knowledge. Yet, through another set of eyes, my death will last an eternity, though that’s not how I see it. From where I stand, my moments are no longer than yours. In fact, our clocks ticks at the same rate and my years burden me just as they burden you, though from a different perspective. The difference is you move far slower than I do so your death occurs in the blink of an eye whereas my death may come when the universe finally collapses upon itself. That would validate my findings and be a proper ending for me. That would be the ultimate culmination of my life's work while providing me the title of my final thesis. I only hope my transmission reaches listening ears as I look beyond the event horizon into the coming darkness.

 And another one:

Space: Clickity-clack go the wheels as the train jostles us in unison; swaying our crowded bodies like wind through a field of wheat. I know this feeling. I do this every day, yet today I’ve ridden three stops past my normal station. I do this not because I’m forgetful or preoccupied, but rather on a whim; on a hope. At moments I believe this a dream, though I have pinched myself painfully to ensure it is not. Rather, I do this for you, though I don’t know you’re name. Unlike my normal boring commute, you’ve intoxicated me. Whether it’s the sweet smell hair or the dry scent of your perfume, you’ve aroused me in a way I’m barely been able to control. Maybe it’s simply the sexy snicker on your face as you sheepishly look up at me as we’re pressed closer together. Whatever it is, I’m yours. All you have to do is but ask and I’d walk to the ends of the earth to see your simple smile, to taste your tantalizing lips. Yet, right here and right now, I await the next changing of tracks so the oscillation eliminates a little more of the space between us.

No comments:

Post a Comment