Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Dilemma


So I’ve written in a few different genre, from swords and sorcery to sci-fi modern adventure to romance to poetry and short stories to erotica. Granted the romance book I wrote was from a guy’s perspective while the erotica was more of an editing job for a friend than for personal needs. However I have yet to venture into the horror genre, but I’m contemplating it a bit though I'm not sure if I can do it. The reason I doubt my writing is due to the fact horror requires a setting of mood and suspense in a very specific way, a way I doubt I can accomplish.

Why? Because I’m a fan of sudden fiction. Sudden fiction lends itself to action, not suspense.

To the contrary, I’ve come up with an idea for a book that could definitely take me into this genre. The story is a combination of psychological thrill and detective story, but could easily reflect the horror element.

Now I have to say the current book I’ve been spending most of my time on is rather dark in nature. It actually shows how a person can become a killer along with a developing a few other mental disorders. The fun part about it is I can see myself as the person within the story and know where and how I’d react to certain situation. Move over, because I can relate in some odd way it tends to push the story toward action and confrontation. Therefore I’ve created a nemesis for the main character, as any evil villain should have. But because of this story I feel I might try to broaden my horizons into horror, or at least something far more dark and deadly.

Now, completely off the subject, I’ve started reading a sci-fi adventure book my uncle has begun writing. I must say the story is intriguing, though very scientific since my uncle is determined to have the science of it accurate. In my reading of it so far I find one thing I can’t get past, which is the dialog. The conversation from every character reads like they’re all automatons. It’s all so stiff and none-engaging, though technically sound. And in a way since the characters are scientists I can understand the direct nature of it, just not from every character. There’s just no variety, no personality, no intrigue generated by it. Everyone is just so plain. Maybe there’s something I can do about it.

We’ll see on both.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting...from what I've read of said story so far, it seems that he himself is the villain :-) Looking forward to see what else you've come up with!

    ReplyDelete