Sunday, July 22, 2012

Editing Limbus

So I received edits back on my book Limbus and, though I have some disagreements with some of them, overall I think I'll accept most of them. After scanning through them all I see a lot that I am to cut out and even more I have to alter is some way, shape, or form. However, there are two items I want to discuss which are suggestions from the editor that I have a problem with: Too Many Changes in Point of View and my short synopsis at the end of some chapters to keep the reader abreast of a story-line concerning two primary characters. I'm going to address the second one first.

Not to give away the story, but by the blurb I published on my blog earlier readers here will know that Jeremiah is captured by Opus in the story as Limbus runs for his life. For a good portion of the book the central theme is the trials and tribulations Limbus and his girlfriend go through as they're being hunted. During this section of the story, however, I throw in a paragraph or two at the end of a few chapters to keep the reader abreast of Jeremiah's plight and Opus' cruelty. These short entries were suggested to be cut out, yet I disagree for two reasons. First has to deal with Jeremiah's struggles, his hopes, and his fears and how they take possession of him on this journey. Because of this I've decided not to cut these out, but rather expand on them. The second reason deals with Opus who's cruel nature truly begins to show as he tortures Jeremiah on their journey. I also like (and need) these entries because I've written another book focused entirely on Opus. In order for that book to exist, I believe I need Opus to have a bigger roll in this book so the transition from this other book into the Jeremiah Stone series will show his progression towards obsession. What I have to remember is that the editor doesn't know of this other book so she doesn't fully understand the reasoning behind keeping these short pieces intact.

Now for my constants changes of Point of View (POV) within chapters. Granted, for the most part people have stories focused on a single character or two and I understand that.  In fact, my book Beginnings is solely written from Jeremiah Stone's POV. It doesn't switch back and forth as the rest of the series does, but I don't believe I can do the same in Jeremiah Stone, Limbus, or Azazel. There's a lot going on and for the story to flow I believe I need these separate points of view. It also ingratiates the reader into some of the characters and their motivations, along with how Jeremiah influences those motivations. Little does Jeremiah know or understand how his ability changes these people's view of the situation. To continue, it's also suggested that if I want to show several points of view then these POVs need to be seperate chapters. I disagree with this. I try to keep the chapters based around time or action, not characters. Its a different type of writing, but I believe it works for these books. I also use separators between each POV, which I could also do by changing these separators into chapters, but I f

What I'd really like to hear back on is whether or not those who have read Jeremiah Stone believe these POV changes hurt the story? Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't have a problem with the changes in POV. Lot's of books do it. They like to leave you hanging for a bit. I mean, Game of Thrones is someone else's POV every single chapter.

    The problem for me with that book was that I didn't care for some of the characters. So I skimmed to the next chapter hoping to get to one I enjoyed.

    I didn't need to do that with Jeremiah Stone at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I agree (and like the Game of Thrones reference!). I enjoy the varied POV because it gives the reader a chance to really get to know the characters and be able to understand why they think the way they do. Good character development. As long as it's obvious who's doing the,talking, I don't see anything wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback. Just as both of you have stated, no one has commented against the writing style of Jeremiah Stone (the number of grammatical errors is another story). And this style continues for Limbus and Azazel. As for Beginnings and Ferryman, the style is slightly different, coming from just one or two POVs.

    And though I see the need for limiting them in some ways, I agree with the notion it leaves the reader hanging at times while encouraging them to read on.

    ReplyDelete