Saturday, July 14, 2012

Immortality


So I’ve been working on a few things, namely the covers of two books: Beginnings and Ferryman. Here's what I’ve come up with so far though these are rough drafts and need some tweaking.




On another note now that I’ve been working on Burden, I’ve began to contemplate (from my character’s perspective) just how far someone would go to become immortal. Would you sin? Would you lie, cheat, steal, or even murder for it? Would you sell your soul for it? Personally, the more I think about it the more I believe I don’t think I’d even want the chance at it.

Furthermore, what I thought would be a simple question has raised questions on whether or not it’d actually be worth it to be immortal. I mean would you want to live forever just to watch everyone you know die or to have to worry about who you’d have to become in order to go unnoticed within society. Would you want to go unnoticed? Could there be some benefit to becoming known as immortal? Do you think a person could achieve god-like status from it?

In addition, what about the limits of that mortality? Could you still get injured? Could you be chopped up into little pieces and still live (as I saw in a Narato episode)? Or would you be impregnable? Would you have to eat or drink? And at some point if you wanted to die, could you? These are the thoughts which push about within my mind as I contemplate the infinite passage of time.

Of course all these questions only bring about the fact I wouldn’t want to live forever. But if you were desperate enough or cared so little about your life at some point in time, would you at least give immortality a chance? Think about it.

3 comments:

  1. Tough call whether or not to consider immortality. You could do so much good (and bad) with it. I think immortality could be awesome because it could be a way to push a person's limits, try new things they wouldn't dare (hello, skydiving!) and be extreme with everything they did. On the other hand, too much of a good thing CAN be bad :-)

    I think it would be fun to have immortality for a limited time but then I wonder a) what I would do with it (and I think what I would do with it would depend on how long I had it for!), and b) what if I enjoyed it so much, I wanted it back (but couldn't have it!)? Decisions, decisions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting notion, however, would you get the same thrill out of skydiving if you knew there was no danger in it? Just thinking that part of the excitement is the danger involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there's no thrill, if you know that no matter what, you'd survive, then the challenge would be gone. I think with immortality, there's a real good chance that you would become bored and would eventually want to end it, except there would be no way to end it.

    It would almost be like that Bill Murray movie, Groundhog Day. At first, he was really into it. He effed around with people and did whatever the hell he wanted, but eventually, he just wanted it to be over and he just couldn't die.

    Maybe you would pursue knowledge and interests, but you'd definitely reach a point where you would do things and manipulate people simply because you are bored and toying with them would break the boredom, at least until your toys are broken.

    ReplyDelete