Sunday, August 12, 2012

Rant


So lately I’ve been doing a lot of ranting about editing, editors, and author control. As much as I despise having to go back and correct my writing even though I know it’s far from perfect, I do know it’s a necessity. I make mistakes. I’m far from perfect. And is some ways I’m a perfectionist, though I do know I have limits. With this is mind, I figure the editing process is a must. In fact, there are a few who think I enjoy it because I’ve been doing so much of it lately. Those people are WRONG, but here’s the problem.

First, I want to put out a good product which coincides with my perfectionist side. I also want to put out a good story. In publishing Jeremiah Stone, I believe I completed the second, but not the first. I feel, and a few have confirmed, the amount of grammatical errors is distracting to the story. As for the story, everyone who’s read it has thoroughly enjoyed it (save one), but with a few tweaks I know it can be better. I’m about to make those tweaks. For the past five months, I’ve dedicated a lot of time to editing and altering Jeremiah Stone. Now I’m just weeks away from doing a final read-through to find any last obvious mistakes, then the book will go back to the publisher for revision one upload to Amazon and B&N. Once that’s complete, I’ll push getting an Ingram number and hopefully with some backing it can be out in stores. That would accomplish another life goal of mine, to see my book on the shelf of a major retailer.

Second, I hope to have five books out by the end of the year. In order for this to happen I have to diligently edit Limbus and Azazel while also taking what I’ve learned from them and put it toward Beginnings and Ferryman. To accomplish this five book goal, I have to dedicate all my spare time to editing which is not easy. Writing is not my job, it’s my hobby. Second, I have a family. Third, I’m rebuilding a vintage trailer so I can go camping (nearing the end of this year long project). Last, I travel a lot and tend to put in long hours when on the road which is where I try to do most of my writing. Needless to say, I’m busy, but again I have a goal and I’m striving to achieve it. In this respect, I’m pushing myself harder than ever while trying to keep up with life. I hope to succeed in both.

Third, I can’t edit on a computer. Or rather, I can, but it’s not nearly the same as reading the story on paper. To that end, I’ve printed off the edited Jeremiah Stone and Beginnings recently and plan to spend a solid four days with a highlighter. Doing this is a task and can’t be done is small blocks of time which is why I’m dedicating vacation time for the event. All I can say is wish me luck.

So those are the reasons I’ve immersed myself into editing.

On another note, a friend of mine contacted me and stated he’s about 25% of the way through Jeremiah Stone. So far he says he’s really enjoying the book and can definitely see it as a movie. That’s the kind of feedback which provides the encouragement for me to continue writing. I love to hear it and I’d also love to see Jeremiah Stone on the big screen. One other thing, I’ve also got some good feedback on the book covers I’ve created for Beginnings and Ferryman. Hopefully I can make both of them a reality, though doing so takes time away from editing.

I guess that’s it for now. Back to the grind with highlighter in hand.

1 comment:

  1. I am one of those people that think you enjoy it lol
    I think it's more of a love/hate relationship...you hate doing it but love the payoff...kind of like work :)

    ReplyDelete