Monday, August 20, 2012

Repetition

Editing, editing, and more editing; it’s all I seem to be doing lately. Deadlocked on making Jeremiah Stone better before taking a solid crack at Beginnings, I find I have ideas for other books yet no time in which to pursue them. And I still have Burden to finish. I have, however, put some thought into what my next book will be after Burden, though I have a couple possibilities.

The first is a post-apocalyptic novel in which the world is devastated by an unlikely, yet possible, chain of events which wipes out a majority of the world’s population in a matter of weeks. As to the storyline, I haven’t figured it out quite yet, but I do have the beginning of the book in mind. However, I may just write it as a short story, 50-100 pages at most, and put it into an anthology of sorts.

My second choice is called Hybrid, a novel which takes place in the future after man starts colonizing planets. What I like about this story is it’s narrated from the alien’s point of view. Furthermore, the book would begin something like this: I was not given a name when I was formed, only a purpose. My purpose is genocide. I think it’s a pretty catchy beginning to a story about how man is invariably linked to morality. I’ve actually got a good idea of the storyline of this book, though it’s still in its infant state.

The next choice is basically five short stories all interlinked. The first four stories pertain to four separate people who each have a special ability due to an experimental drug given to their mother’s during their pregnancy. The fifth story would take place with all of them together. Now I’ve done some thought on this and think it’s a clever idea, but I don’t think it’s a novel. In fact there is only one character which truly entertains my imagination out of the four, so I doubt this idea to be a solid choice. This might be another good add to the anthology book.

Last, there is the idea my brother gave me, which I believe is doable. Furthermore, I think it’d be kind of fun to do. It has to deal with stereograms, but that’s all I’m going to say about it. Writhing this book would also help me with a writing technique I want to use for another book idea I have, which is a murder-horror-mystery novel.

All-in-all, I think I have too much to do and too little time right now. I do have a number of books I want to write, a few I need to edit, one I need to finish, and then a lot of promoting to do also. It’s going to be a busy end of year and I hope I can finish. Focusing on Jeremiah Stone is my primary task now. Wish me luck and let me know what story you’d like to see written of the choices above.

2 comments:

  1. They all sound pretty sweet. I am a sucker for post-apocalyptic novels.

    Have you ever read Fred Saberhagen's "Empire of the East" and "Book of Swords"? I started with the "Book of Swords" and it seemed a straight up fantasy. It was interesting in that the Roman Gods who created the 12 swords were creations of man's collective belief in them. When the swords get out and some can be used to kill a god, the belief wanes and they start to lose form.

    Then I read it some more and realized it was sort of post-apocalyptic because in the "Empire of the East" it turns out there was a super computer built and when a nuclear war broke out, just as the bombs hit, the computer (based on the moon) was able to enact a change in the fundamental nature of physics. It slowed nuclear reactions down and gave them form and sentience. They became known as demons and the largest fought with the super computer trying to reverse the change.

    It was better reading it than my description. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hybrid sounds like an interesting storyline...could be similar to Prometheus? I wonder how you would write the story from the alien's point of view ...would he have human reasoning or feelings? Looking forward to how you'd pursue if you choose this :)

    ReplyDelete