Thursday, March 14, 2013

More of a Burden

So I'm back to writing Burden, though it's not been easy. I've ran into writer's block more than a few times and have had to stop to conduct research on a half dozen occasions. But luckily, a few days of concentrating on where the story should go has broken the block once again. This time it pertained to an economic rant which never seemed to sound right, never seemed coerced enough for it to really happen. Well, now it's happened and I can move on with the rest of the story. Not only that, but the main character has gained spite which will serve him well later down the line.

So what does it take to break writer's block; well it probably varies from person to person but this is what works for me. And just for the record, it was something I read and not something I made up on my own. The piece of advice I read was to think about the story, get excited about what comes next, and when the moment comes you just let the words flow. For me, it took three nights of working through several problems, playing out the confrontation in my head, and when it hit me I sat down and wrote it. Unfortunately, that's not the only thing I had to do, but it did help.

The other thing was to read a little and to write something off topic. Of course, I wrote more than just one thing out of the ordinary (I started another book and wrote a few odd things like the tribute to my dog, Duke). After all this, and two months time, I'm finally back into burden and I have a path forward. So in reality Burden has been a burden to write, but with every failed page or rewritten line, it's becomes a better book (at least I hope it has). And though I'm still a long ways from being finished, I've leaped over another hurdle on the way to completion.

The other good thing about this is I have another story I've committed myself to writing. Hopefully, it will be easier to write then Burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment