Thursday, January 2, 2014

Probably Crazy

I'm not a romance novelist, yet I've written and will soon publish a romance novel. Does this mean I'm crazy...probably. But I have had a few good influences in my life and I have a personality trait which is now part of a dying breed: I'm a hopeless romantic. Yea, and I'm a guy. So what's that mean? It means I always see the best of every relationship I've ever been in. I cling to the dream of love. I hurt when it fails. And I shed a tear from time to time. But it doesn't make me soft. It only means that I care while I'm stapling my wounds together because I'm not one to give up. I persevere. I step back in the ring. I endure a little more punishment for the sake of another smile, another hug, another kiss with the knowledge being a romantic at times counters logic.

One of the other influences I have is a close friend of mine who writes some amazingly emotional poetry. Today I read this line from something she'd written: You feel like home to me. Somehow, that single line conveys more emotion then the entirety of my novel. And as I've stated before, I'm not a romance novelist so don't expect things like this in my book. On the other hand, I'm a realist in my writing. I tell a story. I convey thoughts, not emotions, which reflect most guys. That's why I wrote the book from a perspective I'm familiar with. A perspective I truly understand...my own.

Now this may not work for some, may not work for most, but it is what it is. It's what I wrote and one day I'll be proud of it. That day isn't today...nor tomorrow. But one day I will see it on my shelf and I'll be proud I had the courage to bare my soul.

There is one other thing I'm going to leave you with and that is that one day I hope all of you have the pleasure of experiencing the writing of my friend. It is truly amazing.

And that's it from me today.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the third time really will be the charm on Google plus allowing me to create a new account and get this posted. I value your friendship more than words could ever say. Success isn't always in the words but in the heart and the meaning behind them...that's why your writing is always exceptional, you believe in every word.

    ReplyDelete