Thursday, January 9, 2014

Then and Now

Now for a little story which began 30 years ago which is when I started writing my first book. Back then, writing was not my passion, I just thought I had a story to tell and a reason to tell it. For 20 years I toiled with that story off and on as my expectations changed along with my life. During that time, however, the one simple book became the beginning of a series I believed I could stretch into three novels. As far as that goes, I'd finished the first two and was about half way through the third with no end in sight. Yes, this means it took me 20 years to write 2 1/2 books. Shameful, but back then writing was still not a passion. Nor was publishing, though it was on my bucket list.

Then a strange thing happened, I went to my 20th High School Reunion and bump into a similar heart. For the entire night we talked of writing. From that point on I had gained a passion for writing. Before I knew it I'd finished the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th book of the series. It was complete, it was epic, and I was proud. Best of all, I was inspired and I owe it all to her because she lit the fire under my ass and gave my purpose.

Its been just over 8 years since that reunion and in that time I've written 14+ books (17 total) and am currently writing two at this time. But beyond that, I have published 6 books and have a seventh coming out shortly. These books, however, aren't even the ones she tortured me to complete; my original series which I reformatted into 9 books. She also introduced me to her son, Tyler, who is currently doing/redoing the graphics for my Stone Vengeance series covers, my Burden of Immortality book, and banners for my display booth at comicon events. He has been a godsend since I have very little artistic talent.

But in addition to just my writing and publishing, she also gave me purpose. Back then I survived from day to day without those awe-inspiring moments which makes life meaningful. Now I have goals. Now I have aspirations. Now I have a life with meaning. For that, I want to thank you, Kathleen (Stoner) Melhart. You are a compatriot of passion and one day we shall publish something together which will stall the world. Without her I'd be trudging through life still in search of direction.

I can't thank you enough for being the constant push I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment