Sunday, January 22, 2012

Jebediah Smith

I literally LOVE this character for the simple reason he is brash and truthful in everything he does. He is also very passionate about a few things; one of them is Jeremiah playing football as a youngster. It’s a story he tells everyone he knows as if it has some monumental meaning. Little does Jebediah know it indeed has a significance even he doesn’t grasp until Jeremiah shows up in his part of the woods in a situation not to Jebediah’s liking.

Now I don’t want to ruin the book ‘Limbus’ by stating too much, but I feel that it takes memorable characters to make a book talk to its reader. I feel as if Jebediah is one of those personalities. The reason I feel this way is I believe each of us has a bit of his crass and scruffy nature within us. Everyone, at some point in time, even if for just a few seconds, would love to be truly honest to a fault without sugar-coating life. Jebediah is just such a person thus enabling us to relate to him on some level.

Beyond the character, Jebediah’s family is also more than is seems as he is related to both the Hatfield’s and McCoy’s from ages past. And though it doesn’t play a huge part in the book, it does give a bit of insight into the character beyond the obvious.

Again I don’t want to give away the story since it is my favorite in the series, but suffice it to say I don’t think I’ve created a more likable person than Jebediah. I hope you feel the same when the story is eventually released into print.

1 comment:

  1. Still reading Limbus...or still have Limbus to read...thanks for a glimpse into the story...I swear I'll finish it! :-)

    ReplyDelete